CARE Applications

CARE is the Committee for Architectural Review and the Environment that reviews and approves applications by owners for property changes in Keowee KeyThe CARE applications are posted on the Keowee Key Website to provide easy access for residents, contractors, or builders to locate details regarding Covenants, procedures, and applications. However, it is important to be aware that CARE routinely makes changes/updates to meet changing needs.  There will be some delay before these changes are reflected on the website.  Therefore, if you are about to undertake a major project, please contact the CARE office to see if there are any changes that may affect you as you proceed.   

The following are E-applications and must be submitted electronically.  If you do not have a computer or the ability to enter the information electronically, you may bring the information to the CARE office for assistance or 
to access the electronic system.  To select the application, you need for your project click the link on the highlighted application name.  This will open the electronic application.  You will be notified electronically of the approval or disapproval of the application.  The approval notice will also include the application form for your record and posting on site.  Chapter references are to the applicable chapter in the CARE Manual.

Repairs and Improvements Application (Chapter G and M)

Repairs and improvements for a property/home, which do not involve any work that is considered a Major Renovation, or shoreline improvements.

Examples of Projects for which an application must be submitted:

  • All exterior/improvements/repairs done by an owner or outside contractor.
  • Exterior alterations or remodeling of existing homes including enclosing an existing porch or patio; any change that will alter the exterior design of the home including doors windows and siding; decorative renovations such as shutters, cupolas, awnings, new roof, and weathervanes.
  • Non-dwelling improvements including mail/paper boxes; antennas; propane tanks; signs; flag poles; landscape lighting; walls; fences; patios; platforms; trams and stairways; satellite dishes; and driveway recoating.

Satellite Dish Application (Chapter G and M)

Installation or replacement of satellite dishes on your property.

Paint Application for Exterior (Chapter H)

Any painting, staining or other finishing treatment of the exterior of a structure, walk, driveway or other improvement on a Keowee Key lot or on the shoreline below the 804 line (e.g. docks) shall require Committee approval. An application is also required for repainting, restaining, etc.

Tree Application (Chapter J)

Removal of any tree greater than 3 inches in diameter (9 ½ inches in circumference) measured at 8 inches above the ground requires an application even if the tree is dead.

Compliance Report (Chapter K)

This is the form used to file a non-compliance issue.

Landscape, Drainage and Shoreline (Docks and other Waterfront Improvements) Application (Chapter N and L)

  1. A landscape plan for new construction house must be submitted no later than completion of house before installation begins.  A landscape application for existing houses must be submitted if it is a major landscaping project, requires grade changes, and/or terracing.
  2.  Drainage – any work causing a change to existing drainage. (Chapter N)
  3. Shoreline applies specifically to private waterfront structures, including docks, piers, decks, patios, retaining walls, and shoreline stabilization located on Duke Energy property or in the Vegetative Zone subject to county oversight.  Must submit an approved Duke Energy Lake Services permit along with this shoreline application for any improvement below the 804-foot elevation line.  (Chapter L)

The following applications must still be submitted in paper form. To select the application, you need for your project click on the highlighted application name. Once the application is completed you can either:

  • Drop off application at the CARE Office located at 1392 Stamp Creek Road which is the building at the corner of Highways 130 and 183;
  • Scan the document in and e-mail to

New Construction Application (Chapter B)

When a property owner decides to build a home at Keowee Key and is starting the new construction process contact the CARE office prior to submitting the paperwork.

Variance Application (Chapter C)

A variance is an encroachment into the front, side or rear setbacks identified for the lot. Owners of existing homes approved for construction prior to 1991, may need to apply for a variance if they find that their home extends into the setback area and no variance has been applied for or granted.

Razing Application (Chapter D)

Razing a structure is demolition of an existing home.

Major Renovation Application (Chapter E)

A major renovation is defined as any project that increases the foundation footprint, impervious surface of the site, heated living space, or major site modifications and shall be represented by a CARE Major Renovation Scope Application reviewed by the Major Renovation Committee Chair. Due to its complexity, a major renovation may be treated as a new construction project by CARE. If so, then CARE guidelines and procedures for new construction shall be used. A Major Renovation as determined by the CARE Construction Manager, that may require fees, could be one of the following (but not limited to):
  1. An addition that exceeds 25% of the existing foundation (mandatory).
  2. An addition that does not exceed 25% of the existing foundation but the complexity or length of the project demands close observation.
  3. The heated interior space of the dwelling is increased by 15% of the existing heated space.
  4. Site renovations involving excavation, backfill, and structures that will result in substantial traffic or increased impervious surface.
  5. Any exterior modification that requires a County permit.
  6. Any project requiring over two truckloads of materials. (generally concrete and stone with an 8 cubic yard/TL)

Change Order (Chapter F)

Any change that is to be implemented after initial approval of a project requires a change order to be submitted in writing to CARE.

Event Signs (Chapter Q)

This form is used when an organization wants to display a sign at one of the community entrance gates, or Keowee Key facilities.